Learn about the connection between this common comorbidity for your patients with obesity and how it can affect their health
A systematic review and meta-analysis reveal that NAFLD was present in nearly 60% of patients with obesity1
adults worldwide have NAFLD3
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is a buildup of excess fat in the liver.2
Obesity, as well as dietary and environmental factors, can lead to raised levels of2:
This increase in hepatic FFAs can lead to fat accumulation in the liver in the form of triglycerides and ultimately NAFLD.2
An increase in hepatic FFAs can lead to fat accumulation in the liver in the form of triglycerides; in certain patients, inflammation and liver damage can follow.2,4
AACE/ACE guidelines recommend that patients with obesity and NAFLD should be managed with lifestyle intervention, targeting 5% to 10% weight loss.6
Obesity is caused by a range of factors
1. Le MH, Yeo YH, Li X, et al. 2019 global NAFLD prevalence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2022;20(12):2809-2817.e28.
2. Buzzetti E, Pinzani M, Tsochatzis EA. The multiple-hit pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Metabolism. 2016;65(8):1038-1048.
3. Younossi ZM, Koenig AB, Abdelatif D, et al. Global epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease—meta-analytic assessment of prevalence, incidence, and outcomes. Hepatology. 2016;64(1):73-84.
4. Godoy-Matos A, Silva WS, Valerio CM. NAFLD as a continuum: from obesity to metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2020;12:60.
5. Cotter TG, Rinella M. NAFLD 2020: the state of the disease. Gastroenterology. 2020;158(7):1851-1864.
6. Garvey WT, Mechanick JI, Brett EM, et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology comprehensive clinical practice guidelines for medical care of patients with obesity. Endocr Pract. 2016;22(suppl 3):1-203.